Translate

Translate

Friday 20 June 2014

Monday Night in Shoreditch and Adventres on the Night Bus


The unfortunate reality of my job means sometimes shifts will get cancelled last minute, and that was the case Monday. Sarah got the notice Sunday night and was able to find herself some work during the day Monday. I didn’t find out my shift was cancelled until almost noon on Monday, so I had an unexpected day off. To make up for this I got myself a shift for Friday (which originally I had off). But this still meant I had a problem: I was going to have to sit around all day in a flat with no internet. The horror. I had no movies on my computer besides the Back to the Future trilogy and Ted and only four episodes of The Kennedy’s. I got through a significant amount of these Monday before eventually losing my mind and text-begging Sarah to go somewhere with me that night.

                We decided to head to Shoreditch but, in an attempt to spice things up a bit, I went on Britbound’s Facebook page and asked anyone if they wanted to join us. I’ve seen lots of people do similar things on the page to varying degrees of success. I got one person who had just come to London who wanted to join us. So we met up with David, an Australian, at Liverpool Street station and began wandering around Shoreditch, in particular, Brick Lane. We walked from one end to the other before eventually settling in at a cool little bar called The Verge. We hung out there drinking and talking until it closed at midnight. I was talking to all the bar staff and we got some free stuff because we were basically the only people there. I met the owner at one point and it turned out he was from Canada! Calgary, actually. Small world. I will definitely return to this bar at some point. It’s actually really easy for Sarah and I to get to Shoreditch.

                After The Verge, despite it being midnight and a Monday, we decided to go down to Shoreditch High Street and try to find another bar. We were kind of successful. First, we found a place that only served expensive cocktails. Nope. But Sarah and I did get discount entry tickets for some nightclub around the corner we may or may not use at a later date. The second bar was too full. Finally, at the third bar, we found a table and stayed for another drink. It closed at 1:00am and we went our separate ways. And then the night bus adventure began.

                Sarah and I probably should have actually checked where we were supposed to get the bus, in hindsight, but we thought we had gone the right way. And I swear the bus was at least the right number, even if it was going the wrong direction. But we really thought we were on the correct bus until it terminated at Tottenham Court Road. Thinking the best way to get on a bus that wasn’t terminating was to walk back the way we came, we did just that. Except none of the bus stops had our bus listed. Turns out we were walking on a completely random road. In the wrong direction. By the time we found the bus it was 2:00am and we had basically gotten to its departure point at Oxford Circus. So it took us an hour to get home, and we drove past allllll the places we had walked by. Oops. Well at least we now know the night bus.

Side Note: The night bus was freakishly busy. It’s 2:00am on a Monday, people. What are you doing up?  

No comments:

Post a Comment