Translate

Translate

Friday 28 March 2014

“To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time.”   ― Leonard Bernstein
       Getting ready for a trip can be exciting but you will probably have an emotional breakdown in the days leading up to it – maybe even more. I’ve had two in the last week. Yes, with the delays in getting my visa back I had more time. But I’m a procrastinator. While I’ve been mostly packed for the last few weeks there’s many little things I’ve left to the last minute: cleaning my room, cleaning my car, etc. Even if you don’t realize it, you’re stressed. On top of that, everyone wants to see you. I’ve been out every night for the last month, just about. The earliest I’ve gotten home was 10:30pm and that was once. There’s been four 4am nights in the last week – and I never sleep past 10am. So you’re exhausted. Then there’s all the goodbyes you’ll be saying. I said goodbye to my boss of five and a half years yesterday and we both cried. It happens, especially with people you’ve known forever.
All of this leads to you getting really rundown. And then something happens. My phone decided to stop working yesterday, mere days before I’m due to leave. And me, being stressed and both physically and emotionally exhausted, completely lost it. You would think somebody died the way I was carrying on. But I had just gotten the phone unlocked and now I have to get a brand new one and unlock it again. Why can’t everything be free?
It’s important to just keep yourself calm. Or you can do what I did (I don't recommend this) and lay on your couch crying and watching Romeo & Juliet. This isn’t a perfect world. Did I really think I was going to have a stress-free final month in Calgary? I’m trying to continue seeing my friends for the last time, even though I’m exhausted. I’m still going to their birthdays and dinners, even though I need all the money I can get. Because I won’t be home for two years, minus a few days here and there. I have to make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment