Translate

Translate

Thursday 3 April 2014

London Day Zero


“If you were born without wings, do nothing to prevent them from growing.” - Coco Chanel 
    So I’m writing this from London! I made it at long last! I left on Tuesday, April 1st. Of course, I had a mad dash with my luggage. Everything suddenly became overweight. I ended up leaving some stuff behind – pants, a jacket, a hoodie, etc. I also ended up forgetting some stuff, like my computer mouse, camera, and a pair of shoes. Oh well. It happens. I got to the airport three hours early. It wasn’t necessary because the entire airport was totally dead. Sarah and I hung out with our families and friends and at 8:30 (our flight left at 10:00) we went through security. It was pretty sad saying goodbye. Sarah and I were both travelling with lots of medication so we figured one of us would get dinged at security. Sure enough, Sarah was, but it was because she didn’t separate her laptop from the rest of her stuff. I love random ironies like that.

                We grabbed some drinks and spinach dip at Chili’s while we waited for our flight to board, which occurred shortly after 9:00pm. We were flying British Airways (www.britishairways.com) and if you ever fly them you should totally get their rewards card. We got 4300 points each for our flight from Calgary to London. We can pretty much fly anywhere in Europe for free. A few flights more like that and we can actually fly home for free. It’s awesome. Anyways, I had a carry on suitcase but I guess it was too big (it wasn’t). It wasn’t really a big deal. At that point they couldn’t charge me to check it and I was allowed to take my medication and laptop out before they took it.

                On the plane Sarah and I were at the back of the bus. There was a lot of empty seats which was nice. I hate crowded flights. It was a weekday flight so it was mostly businessmen and one family. Apparently the back is where they put the young ones because it was the two of us, and a guy who looked like Opie from Sons of Anarchy across the aisle. The male flight attendant decided to have fun with us. Sarah and I are both children on airplanes and we were both hyper so of course we were being super obnoxious. When the drinks cart came around I asked for a glass of wine. I don’t sleep well on planes and on my last flight to England I found it helped. Well, they don’t serve glasses they serve quarter-bottles. Sarah gets the same. A few minutes later the flight attendant sets down another set of bottles, saying nothing. We found this amusing. We drank one of our quarter-bottles and saved the other one for dinner. He chastised us for taking so long. Unbeknownst to us he was doing the same thing with the guy across the aisle, except with Heineken. Dinner was served – along with a third bottle. Before we finished dinner he brought us another one. Then it was midnight and I guess they can’t serve alcohol after then. Probably for the best. We both slept good, at least. The meal was decent, for plane food. I had some penne which was pretty tasty and a roll which was less so. Sarah had beef and something that we think is potato. We both watched The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and then went to sleep. I only slept for about two hours so I put on Rush and dozed in and out for awhile. British Airways has an awesome entertainment system. Basically every new release for the last two months. I didn’t see a lot of the television choices but they seemed equally extensive. I watched a couple episodes of Modern Family and embarrassed Sarah by laughing out loud. Sorry but that show is hilarious.

                After a nine hour flight we landed at Heathrow airport a little early. There was a bit of a lineup at customs but not too bad – maybe fifteen minutes. We were surprised to find we were supposed to go through customs together because we were travelling together. In the past when I’ve travelled elsewhere you’ve always gone up with anyone you’re related to. It ended up being a good thing because at this point Sarah was not looking/feeling too hot so I was able to answer most of the questions. It was pretty simple, surprisingly. She asked what visa we were on, how long we were staying, if this was our first entry and what type of work were we hoping to find. She also asked Sarah if she was feeling okay. Oops. Getting our luggage was no problem and within moments we were officially in London.

                We are spending the next few weeks at my aunt’s flat which is quite far from Heathrow – about ninety minutes by train. We both had two suitcases and a carry-on so taking the train was just not going to happen. A few days before we flew out a booked a minicab on www.greentomatocars.com. They give you the price outright and are apparently cheaper than black cabs as they do not run on a meter. They even come in to the airport to meet you with a sign. Our flight was early so we weren’t sure what that meant. I had originally requested the cab pick us up sixty minutes after landing, which would have been 3:00pm. As soon as we left the luggage area, however, I received a text message saying they had dispatched the driver. Five minutes later they said the car had arrived. They even gave us the driver’s mobile number! We had a bit of difficulty finding him but that’s just because we’re stupid. He was really nice and took our five million suitcases to his car. It was a very long drive but there was free wifi which was so handy! I have an iphone so I was able to text my family and friends that I had arrived safely, as well as check Facebook and just diddle around on the internet. Sarah slept.

                When we arrived at my aunt’s flat she gave us the tour. We were both feeling better and the three of us walked to a pub called Wetherspoon (www.jdwetherspoons.co.uk). I love their Caesar salad. You can add bacon to it now. I also got their garlic ciabatta bread with cheese (flying makes me hungry, ok?). Sarah decided to go full English and get bangers and mash. Apparently they were just ok, but I would never eat that anyway. The three of us split the greatest thing on the menu: a pitcher of purple rain. Sandra and I discovered it three years ago and were obsessed with it. It’s Sourz Cherry, blue curaco or whatever that stuff is called, and lemonade. It’s delicious.

                We got back to the flat around 7:30 around which time my exhaustion kicked in and I died. And thus, my first day in London was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment