Translate

Translate

Tuesday 8 July 2014

Nerding Out


                So I took Friday and Sunday off, initially in the hopes of attending Wireless Festival. That didn’t work out, of course, but I kept those days free because I really, really needed a break. Friday was a pyjama day. I literally did not leave the flat. It was great. I got some serious TV watching done. I did work for almost nine hours Saturday, but Sunday brought with it another day off. Unfortunately, Sarah was working. But my friend decided to come up to London for the day and keep me company.

                We met at London Bridge at lunchtime and headed to Nando’s. Obviously. We had the strangest waiter who was really nice but wouldn’t stop talking to me about Canada and Nando’s and random stuff. It was really funny. From there we walked to the Tower of London. There must have been five million marathons going on because everyone seemed to be wearing a t-shirt supporting some cause or another. We had also forgotten that it was a Sunday. In July. There were a lot of tourists around the Tower of London (especially Tower Bridge) but surprisingly less than anticipated in the actual tower. Of course, because of my super awesome Historic Royal Palaces membership card I got in for free.

                We walked around the tower for a bit while I basically gave a guided tour because I’m a huge dork and spend way too much time there. We couldn’t see the crown jewels or the torture exhibit because there were huge lines. Because everyone loves diamonds and violence, I guess. We did take a Beefeater tour because you can’t go to the tower without taking one. It was hilarious, as per usual. I actually learned some things I didn’t already know, like about the tower’s architecture. That’s what I enjoy about the Tower of London: I learn something new every time I visit.

                After the tower we grabbed a few drinks at Wetherspoon’s before going our separate ways. When Sarah got back she and I watched Gossip Girl, as per tradition. I really don’t know what we’re going to do once we’ve finished the show. Our lives will be empty.

                On Monday I worked, but I had a day shift, which was unusual. I’d been meaning to go to an event hosted by Britbound for awhile, but they either didn’t interest me on days I had free or I had to work during social events that I did think I would enjoy. As it so happened, the stars aligned and I got my work schedule early enough to realize that I could go see Julius Caesar at The Globe. They took care of the booking fee so tickets were only £5. I was a little nervous before going, because I was going by myself and I wouldn’t know anyone and how would I find them? My brain was going crazy.

                I received an email saying to meet at a pub called The Anchor at 6:45pm. I knew there weren’t very many people going but I wasn’t really sure what to look out for. Fortunately, Marie-Clare, the Britbound employee who organized the event, arrived in a jumper with the company’s logo on it. I walked over and started discussing Shakespeare with them, because obviously we all had that in common. She had to leave and head to the theater early to make sure there wasn’t anyone waiting there, but did tell me if I was ever thinking of going to another play to let her know because she’d like to come. I really liked that. It’s cool when you don’t know many people that everyone is willing to just do stuff.

                While I was sitting around I met this Canadian girl named Mina and we talked for awhile. I didn’t talk at all to the other people going. Mina and I headed to The Globe together and I’m glad we did because we never found the other people from our group. We were ‘groundlings’ which meant standing. I had stood for a performance once before, several years ago, and it was a struggle. To be fair, Henry VIII isn’t exactly the most exciting play. I figured that now I’m more used to standing for long periods of time, maybe I could do it. Would I have preferred a seat? Yes, who wouldn’t want to sit down? But did I survive standing? Yes.

                It was a sold out performance so it was pretty crowded, but we were back enough that we had a good view of the stage. The actors are also always coming in and out of the audience which was a funny way to get jostled around during the show. Julius Caesar actually means a lot to me, even though it isn’t one of my favorites. That’s because it was the first Shakespeare play I ever read, when I was eleven (I was a weird kid, alright?). It was the play that started it all and I’d never seen it performed on stage or as a film.

                I have seen many a Shakespeare play performed on stage during my time. I have to say, this may actually be the best one I’ve ever seen. Julius Caesar isn’t exactly riveting and it really depends on the acting and the actors did not disappoint. The actors playing Cassius and Mark Antony were excellent but the real star was Brutus. He looked and acted the part, and Brutus isn’t exactly the easiest role to play. They also used vocal harmonies in a really unique and interesting way and the dance they do at the play’s end (because back in Shakespeare’s day they had to get all the dead people off the ground to prove they weren’t dead and so people would tell their friends it was good rather than super sad) was hilarious! It was traditional Renaissance stuff but they kept adding modern moves. I swear I saw some twerking in there.

                Overall it was an excellent evening and definitely makes me want to attend more Britbound events in the future. I’m starting to settle in and relax more. There’s no point living in London if I’m not doing cool stuff when I get the chance. And what a perfect way to start actually getting out and doing these social events than a Shakespeare play?  

No comments:

Post a Comment